By Dell White. Excerpt from his book Guide to a Healthier Way of Life
Now, you may be asking yourself how eating 5 times a day could possibly be good for you! This eating plan, of course, consists of good, healthy foods along with good habits — you cannot eat pizza 5 times per day to be a lean, mean working machine. The only thing you would be is a big blob of blubber! Foods high in carbohydrates, like pizza, drag you down, bloat you and deplete your energy. It is time for you to change your habits and start eating light and healthy.
Your first step to change your lifestyle and your eating habits is to start the day with a good healthy breakfast.
Your body needs a source of protein and carbohydrate at breakfast. Continue your day eating a good source of protein, carbohydrates and some fats every 3-4 hours. Do not let your body go more than 4 hours without food as you may slow down your metabolism.
What we are working towards is to raise your metabolic rate so you can burn calories all day long. Drink plenty of water before and after meals and throughout the day to curb your appetite. You want to flush out any toxins and excess fat in your body.
Try to plan your meals with the foods you enjoy.
If you do not like tuna, do not force yourself to eat it. You will never stay consistent if you are dreading what you have to eat. Eat your meals, slowly while sitting down. Too many of us eat on the run, standing in the kitchen or in the car. We do not give our bodies the chance to tell our brains we are satisfied and, as you know, if you are not satisfied, you might over eat.
There are going to be days that you might “fall off the band wagon.” For example, you might eat a high fat meal or over eat at dinner. If this happens, do not give up — just get right back on your eating plan the next day and your body will not be affected. If you throw in the towel, that is where you get into trouble. If you make a mistake at work, you don’t just quit your job — you correct it and move forward.
Here are some tips to follow if body fat loss is your goal:
- Have your food steamed, baked, broiled or roasted.
- Eliminate any rich, thick sauces and soups such as béarnaise, hollandaise, alfredo and sauces (marinara is a better choice).
- Remove skin and fat from chicken.
- Eliminate butter all together.
- Eat smaller portions — more often — never stuff your self.
- Share dessert — do not eat the whole thing by yourself.
- Learn to just have a taste — if it is a food you cannot resist, stay away from it all together.
- Chew gum while baking — especially during the holidays.
- Ask for your salad dressing on the side — dip your fork in for taste.
- Do not go out to dinner starved — this will lead you to over eat. Drink water before your meals
Hello to all my BEAUTY-full readers!
Not to worry for I haven’t given up or cheated on MZBHC.
I’ve just had very little time to report and I haven’t reallly felt emotionally up to it lately. Im still drinking water, 100% Orange Juice, and still eating brown bread, salads and vegetables, etc. To be honest I’m getting a little bored, so come next week I should be eating something different (still healthy)… just not sure what yet! LOL!
I am up late tonight, no work tomorrow and I’m trying to catch up on my Sex and the City episodes. Need to do some cleaning as well, but Im feeling really lazy.
Oh…how could I forget?! Have you guys seen my new hair colour?! It was the HIGHLIGHT of my weekend. I am SOOOO feeling it, I love it, its gonna be around for a while!!! So get used to it!
Will check in soon!
Gosh! Is it already October? URGGHH!! I could really do with a few more unhealthy eating days.
Anyway, right to it…
Day 1 of Ms.Zindzi’s BIG Health Challenge is almost over. Its 9:15 PM and I’m drinking water (aiming for 2 litres before bed). Overall, today went smoother and quicker than I expected. Was tempted to have a fry/chip from my friend’s lunch but I reneged after remembering my vow to myself and my vow to my readers…*…Sigh!*
- 140 lbs or 10 stones (I probably will weigh-in again next month or so)
- Carbs (White bread, sugar, pasta and white rice…you get my drift!!)
– I had a glass of water and a glass of orange juice. I know, sounds a bit unexciting. But I did some shopping today and so tomorrow’s breakfast should be a lot more interesting.
– Caesar Salad with Chicken strips, Caesar Salad Dressing (Can’t get away from it!) and Parmesan Cheese from Nando’s and a glass of Pepsi. Pepsi isn’t the healthiest, I know.
– Salad Bowl (Frisee, Green Oak Leaf Lettuce & Radicchio) with quarter (or less) free range rotisserie chicken and Reduced Fat Caesar Salad Dressing and a glass of Orange juice. I even had 3 American Red Plums as fruit (they were absolutely DELICIOUS!).
And now at 9:25, I am on my water break! Trying to drink the 8 glasses in 1 hour. LOL!
Until next time…
Oh, There’s a new section to the rigth of the screen ‘Video of the Week’ check back everyweek for a new video!
And look forward to next week’s entry about my return to Uni Life!
Ms.Zindzi’s tryna get her body in check.
The mistake I’ve made in the past is equating healthier living with weight loss, which isn’t always the case. So if I would start eating healthy and not lose weight I’d give up because I’d think ‘Oh, I failed. I give up!’ when in fact I was doing what I had actually set out to do, eat healthy. So I’ve changed up my thinking a bit – eating healthier doesn’t necessarily mean that I have to lose weight – I know I’m ready to conquer this challenge.
From the 1st of October, I will begin my quest for a healthier lifestyle and healthier body. December 29th, my special day, will mark my last day for reporting on the ‘Ms.Zindzi’s BIG Health Challenge’. After which I will post random updates as to my progress. I am really looking forward to starting my new routine and making this a lifelong commitment. I’m actually very excited, can’t wait to start.
I know you guys will enjoy reading the weekly updates because every now and then you’ll get to laugh at the weird or boring things I have to eat and I’m also gonna post easy, simple and healthy recipes that I know you guys will LOVE. Also, I’ll be posting motivational tips to encourage other ‘Get Healthy!’ people like myself. You’ve got to love ‘Ms.Zindzi’s BIG Health Challenge’ because you get to know EVERYTHING! And I mean, everything even my weight, not even my momma knows my exact weight! LOL!
Now, I’d be lying if I said this was my first attempt to get into shape and get healthy. I’d also be lying if I said I haven’t given up on more than one occasion. However, the good news is, I have succeeded once before and I want to succeed at it again.
What’s different this time is that I have you guys to share it with, and to get support from. So wish me luck! And who knows I might even inspire somebody to ‘Get Healthy!’.
Switch to our mobile site